PEDIATRIC CHIROPRACTIC CARE
Why Chiropractic for Children
Chiropractic care for kids is not like treating small adults. A specialty chiropractor still uses their hands to identify subluxations in the spine and cranium, only with children we are looking for different patterns, checking reflexes more and using safe and gentle techniques. When adjusting a child's spine, the pressure necessary is about as much as blanching a tomato.
Even in the most natural and gentle birth, being born can be traumatic and stressful. Whether the infant was born vaginally or cesarean, their head and spine have still had significant forces applied to it. These birth injuries can cause restrictions in the cranium and spinal movements, which decreases function in the nervous system. Dr. Cecelia uses very gentle techniques, such as craniosacral, Logan and SOT, to encourage proper alignment and motion of the cranial system.
The growth patterns of a child's spine show that the time of fastest spinal growth is during the first year of life. This is a 50 % increase in one year, a rate which is unmatched in any other phase of a child's growth and development. The next fastest growth rate occurs between the ages of one and five years, a 42 % growth rate. Regular chiropractic check-ups can assist in growing healthy children and properly functioning nervous systems. Dr. Cecelia believes it is very important for children to be in control of their own bodies, which is why she always asks permission of the child before treating them. Pediatric appointments look very different than an adult appointment. Often we meet the child where they are, which is typically in their parents’ arms or on the floor.
INFANT CHIROPRACTIC CARE
Chiropractic care for infants may help with:
head contusions from birth
difficulty nursing, especially to one side
frequent ear infections
delayed motor skills; crawling or walking
neck and back pain
10 REASONS PARENTS TAKE THEIR KIDS TO THE CHIROPRACTOR
1. Maximize and increase their child’s brain and nerve development
2. To enhance their child’s overall well-being
3. To strengthen immunity and reduce the incidence of colds, ear-aches and general illness
4. To help with colic/irritable baby syndrome
5. To help with asthma, breathing difficulties and allergies
6. To improve spinal posture
7. To improve their child’s ability to concentrate
8. To assist with behavioral disorders and offer greater emotional well-being
9. To help alleviate bed wetting and digestive problems
10. To assist with sleep issues
Well Adjusted Babies by Dr. Jennifer Barham-Floreani